Friday, July 27, 2012

The "F" Word

My daughter will be in the 9th grade this new school year. Many of my peers are using the word “Freshman” to describe their children. I, however, am refusing to use that word.

The “F” word suggests that my daughter is embarking on a new adventure, into the world where Sophomores and Juniors (my son) and Seniors congregate. I am not ready for her to be in that world.
 
The “F” word suggests that she soon will be driving and dating and departing. See future entry for my reflections on those “D” words. I am not ready for the “D” words.

The “F” word would imply that the baby I used to cradle in my arms has at supersonic speed moved from her first steps and learning to ride a bike to being less dependent on me. Ok … I may possibly be ready for that one.

Somehow saying my daughter is in 9th grade is less traumatic for this mother than using the “F” word. Ninth grade is just like all the others … 2nd grade, 5th grade, etc. Ninth grade implies nothing special; it’s just another grade.

This summer I have watched my daughter blossom. She has moved away from playing soccer (which granted was more my passion than hers), toward her own interests. She is mature enough to babysit and confident enough to stand up for herself.

While I am not ready for her to be a Fre …. Fre … Freshman, I suspect that she is. My habit has been to take a couple of days off leading up to the new school year to make sure the kids are prepared with supplies and clothes and we have time together before the hectic-ness ensues. This year, a little extra personal preparation will be needed. The “F” word is imminent.

No comments:

Post a Comment